About > Resume
b. December 5, 1984
San Francisco, California
Lives and works in New York City, NY
• M.F.A. in Painting/Printmaking, Yale University School of Art, New Haven, CT, 2013
• B.F.A., The Cooper Union School for the Advancement of Science and Art, New York, NY, 2007
• Fulbright Fellow, Vietnam, 2007-2008
• The Yale Summer School of Music and Art, Norfolk, CT; Summer 2006
Awards and Residencies:
• Asia Delegate, The Carnegie Council for Ethics and International Affairs, New York, NY, 2017
• Lower Manhattan Cultural Council, Process Space, 2017
• Juror’s Selection, Spectrum, Carriage Barn Arts Center, New Canaan, CT, 2015
• Scholarship for Advanced Studies in Book Arts, The Center for Book Arts, 2014-2015
• The Van Lier Fellowship, Wave Hill, 2014
• The Bronx Artist-in-the-Marketplace Bronx Museum, 2014
• The Helen Winternitz Award, Yale School of Art, 2013
• Lin Art/Architecture Scholarship, Yale School of Art, 2013
• Yale Southeast Asian Council Research Grant, Yale University, 2012
• Robert Storr Scholarship, Yale School of Art, 2012
• Fulbright Grant to Vietnam, 2007
• Michael S. Vivo Memorial Prize in Drawing, 2007
• Ellen Battell Stoeckel Scholarship; Yale Summer School for Music and Art, 2006
• Full-Tuition Scholarship; The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art; 2003-2007
• Asia Art Archive, Hong Kong and New York
• The Philadelphia Museum of Art, PA
• The Museum of Modern Art Library, NY
• Floating Library, Minneapolis, MN
• Haas Family Art Library, Yale University, New Haven, CT
• The Center for Book Arts, New York, NY
• The Joan Flasch Artists’ Book Collection, Chicago, IL
• Norwalk Community College, Norwalk, CT
• Tucker Contemporary Art, New York, NY
• Disaphol Chansir, Thailand
Selected Solo Exhibitions:
• The Straits, Mariboe Gallery, Peddie School, Highstown, NJ
• How to Breathe in Selected Tropics, The Joan Flasch Artists’ Book Collection, The School of the Art Institute in Chicago, Chicago, IL
• Primate City, Ground Floor Gallery, curated by Dexter Wimberly, Brooklyn, NY
• Primate Cities (on the wall), Tree Top Chamber Music Society, Stamford, CT
• Chickens of the Torrid Summer, Norwalk Community College, Norwalk, CT.
• Hermes, the Epiphytes, Wave Hill, Bronx, NY.
• My Diary From That Battle of 10,000 Ships, L’usine Gallery, organized by San-Art, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
• Đồ Đạc Đi Đôi, The Ho Chi Minh City Fine Arts University, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Selected Group Exhibitions:
• Face of the Future, The Rubin Museum, New York, NY
• Myth, Memory, and Migration: Stories from the Asian Diaspora , NARS Foundation, Brooklyn, NY
• Chicago Art Book Fair, Chicago Athletics Club, Chicago, NY
• Food from Shadows, a Refugee Resistance Menu, First Sip Cafe, Chicago, NY
• Call and Response, Wave Hill, Bronx NY
• Smithsonian Asian American Literature Festival, The National Portrait Gallery and Phllips Collection, Washington DC
• Terrestrial Resonance, Harlem Properties, Art in FLUX, New York, NY
• Blonde Art Book Fair , Knockdown Center, Queens, NY
• Loving Blackness, Asian Arts Initiative, Philadelphia, PA
•Allusions, JCC Harlem, New York, NY
•Beautiful World Book Fair, Passenger Pigeon Press, Philadelphia, PA
•Odds and Ends, Passenger Pigeon Press, Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, NY
• New York Art Book Fair, Passenger Pigeon Press, New York, NY
• Independent Art Book Fair, Passenger Pigeon Press, New York, NY
• FLUX Art Fair, New York, NY
• Philadelphia Art Book Fair, Philadelphia, PA
• Odds and Ends, Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, NY
• 2015 Scholars Exhibition, The Center for Book Arts, New York, NY
• Bronx Calling: Bronx Museum 3rd AIM Biennial, Bronx Museum, Bronx, NY
• Goodbye to the 40th Anniversary of the Vietnam War, apartment show, Chicago, IL
• Spectrum, Carriage Barn Arts Center, New Canaan, CT
• DRAW: Mapping Madness, Inside-Out Museum, Beijing, China
• Outside the Margin, Pyramid Atlantic Art Center, Silver Spring, MD
• Thresholds of Motion, San-Art, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
• Bronx Speaks: No Boundaries, The Bronx Museum, Bronx, NY
• The Last Brucennial, New York, NY
• Exile, El Ricon Gallery, Houston, TX
• The Morphology of Print, Lehman College Art Gallery, Bronx, NY
• Come Together: Surviving Sandy, Industry City, Brooklyn, NY
• Yale MFA Painting/Printmaking Thesis Group 1, New Haven, CT
• Marvelous Metaphors, Vietnamese-American Arts and Letters Association, Santa Ana, CA
• Books Set Sail (Part of the Open Edit Mobile Library), collaboration with Thomas Maresca, organized by San-Art and the Asia Art Archive, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
• In the Cradle of the Dragon Prince- My Duc Ceramics Design Show, an old French Villa, Ho Minh City, Vietnam
• Dust, Bui Artist Space, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
• Syntax and Diction, San Art Independent Artist Space, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
• When Mountains are Made of Dust and Silver- My Duc Ceramics Design Show, The Fine Arts Museum of Ho Chi Minh City; Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
• Saigon Lacquer Painting, The Ho Chi Minh City Fine Arts University, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
• Save San Art, San Art Independent Artist Space, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
• Sound Portraits, collaboration with pianist Janis Mercer, The Roulette and The Community Music Center, New York, NY and San Francisco, CA
• Transportable Sanctuaries, The Cooper Union School of Art, New York, NY
• Tribeca Open Artist Studio Tour, Nix Gallery, New York, NY
• Chi Toi Part I & II: The Younger Brother; co-curated with Zoe Butt; San Art Independent Artist Space; Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
• Lục đục...lục đục...lục đục...Naptime Noise; L’usine Gallery; Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
• Hyperallergic, The Body as a Field for Graphic Experiments, by Seph Rodney, May 9, 2017, https://hyperallergic.com/377626/art-in-flux-harlem-terrestrial-resonance/
• Hyperallergic, Endangered Monkeys and the Legacy of the Vietnam War at Ground Floor Gallery, by Jillian Steinhauer, March 23, 2017, https://hyperallergic.com/367322/endangered-monkeys-and-the-legacy-of-the- vietnam-war-at-ground-floor-gallery/
• The Financial Times, The design fair that carved a niche, by Gareth Harris, April 29, 2016
• The New York Times, 4 Non-Frieze Art Fairs to Explore This Weekend, by Martha Schwendener, May 5, 2016
• Mapping Maddness Exhibition Catalog, Inside Out Museum, Beijing.
• Staring at the Wall, Tammy Nguyen, Studio Visit & Interview, by Meena Hasan, September 19, 2014, http://staringatthewall.com/2014/09/19/tammy-nguyen-studio-visit-interview/
• Chicken by James Prosek, Chickens of a Torrid Summer Catalog, ISBN-10: 132012707X, Blurb 2014.
• Curator’s Statement by Gabriel de Guzman, Hermes the Epiphytes Catalog, ISBN-10:1320127088, Blurb 2014.
• Heroes of a Biomass by Bruce King, Hermes the Epiphytes Catalog, ISBN-10:1320127088, Blurb 2014.
• Come Together Surviving Sandy Year 1 Catalogue, Daedalus Foundation, 2014
• The Bronx Free Press, No words, just print by Sherry Mazzochi, October 09 - 15, 2013, Volume 4 - No. 41.
• Yale Daily News, Graduate artists showcase thesis work by Josephine Massey, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2013/02/20/graduate-artists-showcase-thesis-work/
• Tuoi Tre Newspaper- Sunday Edition, Cuộc Rược Đuổi Của Tammy Nguyễn (Tammy Nguyen’s Chase) by Khong Loan, #130/2010, Sunday, November 14, 2010, page 12.
• Doan Nhan Saigon Weekend Edition Magazine, Sức Hấp Dẫn Của Văn Hóa Quê Hương Khiến Họ Trở Vế (Coming Home to her Culture) by Thu Ngan, No. 353, Friday, May 28, 2010, page 28.
• Any Arena Online Magazine, Tammy Nguyen- Exhibition Review by Chi Mai, Wednesday 20 Oct, 2010, www.anyarena.com
• Doanh Nhan Saigon Weekend Edition Magazine, Về Việt Nam Để Hiểu Mình Hơn (Living in Vietnam for Self Reflection) by Thu Ngan, No. 353 – May 28, 2010.
• Sinh Vien Magazine, Cô Họa Sĩ Sinh Đôi (The Double Artist) by Xuan Hu, No. 18 – May 5, 2010.
• Asia Life Magazine, Work in Progress by Tom DiChristopher, Volume 25 – April 2010.
• AsiaLife Magazine, Viet Kieu Visions by Thomas Meresca, June 2008.
• Saigon Times Magazine, Things That Come in Two by Diep Anh, No. 24 - June 7, 2008.
• Tuoi Tre Newspaper, Cuộc chuyện trò với... cột điện (A Playful Story With... Telephone Poles) by Viet Le and My Lang, #130/2008 (5453) - May 15, 2008.
• Phu Nu Magazine, Hành trình về cội nguồn của: Tammy Nguyen (Turning Back to Her Roots: Tammy Nguyen) by Dang Minh, #18 - May 18, 2008. With... Telephone Poles) by Viet Le and My Lang, #130/2008 (5453) - May 15, 2008.